From its inception, AltspaceVR has been focused on community and content. For users, we want to encourage organic communities and provide diverse content within AltspaceVR. For developers, we want to make it easier to create shared VR content, as well as contribute to the larger community of VR and 3D web development.
To move things forward, we thought it made sense to put our money where our mouth is. Thus, the Developer Initiative Program! We have set aside $150k for individuals and small teams to create 3d web apps that are compatible and optimized for AltspaceVR. Details are as follows:
The Brief Overview
- Get Started with the AltspaceVR SDK, check out the examples and start experimenting!
- Once you have an idea you are happy with, send us a proposal with a rough prototype.
- If we like your proposal, we will give you funds to make it a reality!
What are we looking for?
- Just about anything! Traditional games, board games, interactive toys, musical gardens, profound experiences, art galleries… the volumetric 3D web browser within AltspaceVR allows endless possibilities.
- We would like to see original apps that take advantage of the features of AltspaceVR and its browser! For example:
- Apps with synchronized multiplayer, be it turn-based or simultaneous
- Apps that prompt users to move around the volumetric browser
- Apps that encourage users to talk and socialize while playing
- Apps that respond to head movement or other input (i.e., Leap Motion)
- Ports of existing 3D web content is cool too! From physics simulations to data visualization to 3D Nyan cat, there is a lot of cool 3D content on the web just begging to be expressed in VR.
- Fishing for ideas? Check out the Projects page, or check out the brainstorm ideas that came out of our internal game jams!
Submission and Evaluation
- To submit your application prototype, begin with “My apps” on the menu bar.
- Click on the “Submit App” button.
- Fill out all relevant info. Make sure to include your vision for the final version of the app in the Description field.
- Choose one of two ways to send us the prototype of your app (prototype should be functional in AltspaceVR):
- APP URL – If you already have your app hosted, simply give us a stable URL where your app resides.
- APP FILES – Send us a ZIP archive of all relevant web files for your app.
- Once your app is submitted, you will see its status changed to “Pending Approval.” Within 2 weeks, you should see a status change to “In Review,” meaning your app is actively being evaluated.
- If your app is approved for the Developer Initiative Program, you will receive details on the next step of the process.
- If your app does not qualify, we will do our best to communicate why we turned it down.
- If it has been longer than two weeks and you have still not received a response, please send an email to email@example.com.
Official Rules and Conditions
- ELIGIBILITY: An individual or team (Entrants) can submit a game, experience, or app (Application) for the AltspaceVR Developer Initiative Program (DIP). Entrants must be 18 years of age or older at the time of Application submission, or if under the legal age must have permission from a parent or guardian for program entry.
- APP PROTOTYPE: To be considered, an Application prototype must make use of the AltspaceVR Development Kit and be fully functional within an AltspaceVR volumetric browser.
- AWARDS: After evaluation of an Entrant’s submission by a panel provided by AltspaceVR (Evaluators), Entrant(s) may be awarded the status of DIP Participant (Participant). A total of $150,000 has been designated for the DIP; each Participant will receive a portion of these funds to develop their prototype into a finished app. Funding awards will range between $1,000 and $20,000. Award amount will vary based on a variety of factors that may include Participant experience, development history, complexity of project, team size, and other factors that would be discussed with the Participant(s).
- DATES: Submissions will be accepted beginning on September 15th, 2015. AltspaceVR will continue to take submissions for the DIP until program funds are depleted.
- MARKETING/PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited, accepting Participant status constitutes Participant’s consent to AltspaceVR’s and its/their agents’ use of Application information submitted by the Participant including Participant name, screenshots and videos of the Application for promotional or advertising purposes, or on a Participant’s list, if applicable, in any media, worldwide, in perpetuity, without further payment or compensation. Participant’s app names or working titles are subject to AltspaceVR’s review, approval or use in connection with the DIP. Participant can choose to allow AltspaceVR and its/their agents’ use of Participant’s likeness, photograph, voice, and opinions for promotional or advertising purposes; such use will be without further payment or compensation.
- GENERAL CONDITIONS: Entrants and Participants are subject to AltspaceVR’s verification. AltspaceVR’s decisions are final and binding in all matters related to the DIP. Entrants and Participants must comply with the Official Rules. AltspaceVR is not responsible for technical, hardware or software failures, malfunctions, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions or unforeseen schedule changes that may limit an Entrant’s ability to participate in the DIP. AltspaceVR has the sole discretion to modify, cancel or suspend the DIP, or modify these Official Rules as necessary, should viruses, bugs, unauthorized human intervention or other causes beyond AltspaceVR’s control affect the administration, security or proper play of the DIP or AltspaceVR otherwise becomes incapable of running the DIP as planned or as required by applicable law. AltspaceVR is not responsible for changes to Entrant’s contact information. Any individual who attempts or otherwise encourages, directly or indirectly, the submission of false entries, as determined by AltspaceVR, will be disqualified. AltspaceVR has the sole discretion to disqualify any Entrant who tampers with the entry process. AltspaceVR has the sole discretion to disqualify Entrants who violate these Official Rules, tamper with the operation of the DIP or, in AltspaceVR’s sole discretion, engage in any conduct that is deemed detrimental or unfair to AltspaceVR, the DIP or any other Entrant.
- APPLICATION CONTENT: AltspaceVR is not responsible for lost, late, mutilated, illegible, incomplete, postage due or misdirected entries. All entries will remain the sole property of Entrant or Participant, who may receive an opportunity to self-publish on the AltspaceVR Showcase. Entrants waive any claims against AltspaceVR and Promotion Entities concerning Entrant’s rights in the Application submitted under this Agreement. AltspaceVR reserves the right to reject any entries that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate, including, but not limited to, entries including foul language, gratuitous depiction of violence or sexual behavior, or positive depictions of alcohol or tobacco. The Application must be the original, sole work of Entrant and his or her team. Entry cannot defame or invade the rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any third party personal or proprietary rights. Any Entrant whose work includes likeness of third parties or contains elements not owned by Entrant (such as, but not limited to, music, faces, voices, depictions of buildings, trademarks or logos) must be able to provide legal releases for such use, including a release or license for AltspaceVR to use of such elements, in a form satisfactory to AltspaceVR in its sole discretion. By participating in the DIP, Entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules. Entries not in full compliance with these Official Rules will be immediately and automatically disqualified.
- RELEASE AND INDEMNITY: As a condition of participating in the DIP, Entrants release and agree to indemnify AltspaceVR, Inc., and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations, advertising and promotional agencies, and all of their officers, directors, shareholders, members, employees and agents (collectively, the “Production Entities”) from all liability, claims or actions of any kind arising or alleged to arise from losses, damages or injuries to persons or property in connection with the DIP, including in connection with any Applications, preparation for, participation in the DIP, possession, acceptance, delivery or use of awarded funds, participation in any DIP-related activities, and claims based on publicity rights, patent, copyright or trademark infringement, defamation or invasion of privacy.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY: AltspaceVR is not responsible for: any incorrect or inaccurate entry information; human errors; technical malfunctions; lost, stolen, mutilated, mis-delivered, postage due, illegible, incomplete or untimely entries that may limit Entrant’s ability to participate in the DIP, even if caused by AltspaceVR’s negligence; failures, omissions, interruptions, deletions, or defects of any telephone network, computer online system, computer equipment, servers, providers, or software, including any injury or damage to Entrant’s or any other person’s computer relating to participation or inability to participate in the DIP; inability to access the Site or upload information or data; theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries; data that is processed late or incorrectly or is incomplete or lost due to telephone, computer, or electronic malfunction or traffic congestion on telephone lines or the Internet or any website (including the Site) or for any other reason whatsoever; printing or other errors; or any combination thereof. Proof of uploading information or data or entering information at the Site is not considered proof of delivery or receipt. Illegible, duplicate and incomplete entries will be disqualified. False, fraudulent, or deceptive entries or acts, as determined by AltspaceVR, render Entrants ineligible and all associated entries will be void.
- GOVERNING LAW: All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules or the rights and obligations of Entrants, Participants or AltspaceVR in connection with the DIP are governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of California without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules (whether of the State of California or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of any other state’s laws. Entrants hereby submit to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the Federal and State Courts in San Francisco, California for the purposes of any suit related to the DIP and waive any claim that they are not subject personally to the jurisdiction of said courts or that any such suit or other proceeding is brought in an inconvenient forum or improper venue.
In addition to the above, you must also agree to AltspaceVR’s Terms of Service.